Helen Head, a Democrat from South Burlington, was first elected to the Vermont House of Representatives in November 2002. During the 2003-04 biennium she served on the House Commerce committee and has since served on the House General, Housing and Military Affairs committee, which she chaired from 2007 – 2018. Helen is married to Tom Mercurio. They have a son, Paul, and daughter, Maria, who are both young adults living in Burlington.
She received her bachelor’s degree in political science at the University of New Hampshire and a master’s degree in public administration at the University of Vermont.
Helen has been a community leader for over 40 years, serving in the following ways:
- Parent volunteer in South Burlington schools
- Member of the South Burlington School District’s Partners for Equitable Schools Committee
- Vermont House of Representative’s delegate to the Vermont Commission on Alzheimer’s Disease
- Staff of the Joint Urban Ministry Project (JUMP)
- Promoter of elder independence and affordable housing as Executive Director of Project Home (now HomeShare Vermont)
- VISTA volunteer, paralegal, and head of the Concord office of New Hampshire Legal Assistance
- Provider of direct services and fund-raiser for elders, people with disabilities, children and families
- Trustee of the South Burlington Library Board
- Member of the South Burlington Correctional Facility Liaison Committee
- Volunteer for Burlington Dismas House and Hospice of the Champlain Valley (current)
- Co-coordinator of Small Potatoes, an interfaith project that provides food to hungry Vermonters (current)
- Board member of Emerge Vermont