Rep. Helen Head, a Democrat from South Burlington, was first elected to the Vermont House of Representatives in November 2002. During the 2003-04 biennium she served on the House Commerce committee and has since served on the House General, Housing and Military Affairs committee, which she has chaired since January 2007. Helen is married to Tom Mercurio. They have a son, Paul, and daughter, Maria, who are both young adults living in South Burlington.
She received her bachelor’s degree in political science at the University of New Hampshire and a master’s degree in public administration at the University of Vermont.
Helen has been a community leader for over 40 years, serving in the following ways:
- Parent volunteer in South Burlington schools
- Member of the South Burlington School District’s Partners for Equitable Schools Committee
- Vermont House of Representative’s delegate to the Vermont Commission on Alzheimer’s Disease
- Staff of the Joint Urban Ministry Project (JUMP)
- Promoter of elder independence and affordable housing as Executive Director of Project Home (now HomeShare Vermont)
- VISTA volunteer, paralegal, and head of the Concord office of New Hampshire Legal Assistance
- Provider of direct services and fund-raiser for elders, people with disabilities, children and families
- Trustee of the South Burlington Library Board
- Member of the south Burlington Correctional Facility Liaison Committee
- Volunteer for Burlington Dismas House and Hospice of the Champlain Valley (current)
- Co-coordinator of Small Potatoes, an interfaith project that provides food to hungry Vermonters (current)
Paid for by the Helen Head Campaign, Mary L. Gauthier, Treasurer 65 East Terrace, South Burlington, Vermont 05403